How to Wipe Windows XP hard drive?
Wipe Windows XP hard drive is the essential step before selling the old system-based hard drive to others. Since it is so the system is so that people buy it would like to reinstall new Windows system on a clean hard drive. That's to say, you can wipe Windows XP hard drive and keep system or you can Wipe Windows XP along with other data on the hard drive. Unfortunately, Windows XP doesn't capable of killing itself by some commands or default tools, we thus have to create a bootable CD to wipe everything out.
NOTE: before wiping anything, do remember to find files that important to you. Make a backup on them if needed, because when you start to wipe, no files can be recovered, not even the professional data recovery programs will do. In Windows XP, you can run Backup or Restore Wizard to backup files you want to keep.
Download ByebyeData Eraser and we'll start to wipe Windows XP hard drive
Wipe Windows XP hard drive and keep the operating system: before you sell this old computer to others, they may need to confirm if the system runs well or other hardware information of the hard drive, so we can only wipe Windows XP hard drive and keep the OS for their need, steps are as followed:
- Run ByebyeData Eraser and click Erase drives.
- Check the drives you want to erase and choose one standard (1 pass methods are fast, 3-7 passes are slow and 35 passes method is the slowest).
- Click Erase Now to perform hard drive erase and confirm this operation.
- Click Erase free space and choose C Drive or the system partition and Erase now again.
You can skip step 3 if you once have a clean install of Windows XP on C Drive and no files or downloads are stored in that partition, but if you're not sure about this, Erase free space in C Drive is a guarantee.
This situation may be applied when the buyer already know the hard drive runs OK and they just to want a RAW disk so that they can install a clean system on it. They want to make sure there is no malware or spyware traces on the system drive, so we can do the following step to make a clean hard drive:
- Run the program and click Bootable media first
- Follow the guide to create the ISO file and burn it to CD/DVD after you plugged in empty disc.
- boot from CD/DVD and run ByebyeData Eraser, click Erase disks.
- Click on the hard drive and define a wiping method, click Erase Now and confirm.