Wipe Laptop and keep Windows 10
Do you want to give your laptop to friends or other family member? Try to wipe the laptop and clean install Windows 10 or just wipe system drive's free space and all the other partition with all your private data stored. ByebyeData Eraser has all the data sanitation solutions for you before you clean install or reset this computer.
How to wipe laptop hard drive before clean install Windows 10?
1. First and foremost, backup files you want to keep or you're hesitating to keep or not. Once you start to erase, they will not come back. If there're files have meaning to you, backup first and decide their fate after the laptop giveaway.
2. Choose the right edition of ByebyeData Eraser to download, install and Run. (We have free, pro for home, pro for business and admin edition).
3. Prepare a blank CD which can be burned for ISO file if you want to clean install Windows 10 and wipe everything out. Besides, Windows 10 setup CD is also required for reinstalling.
After prepared for these 3 steps, we can go to the details of wiping laptop and keep Windows 10. This tutorial will be divided into two sections, one is for wiping all drives and reinstall Windows 10, the other is to wipe free space on C Drive and wipe all other partitions.
Solution 1: Wipe all drives and reinstall Windows 10.
1. Run ByebyeData Eraser and click Bootable media to create the ISO file, insert the blank CD and double-click the created file and burn it to CD.
2. Keep the CD in the CD-ROM and restart the laptop, remember to boot from CD instead of normal boot.
3. In ByebyeData Eraser, click Erase disk and select Disk 0 or click Erase drive and select all the drives if you have only one disk, but if you multiple disks, click Disk 0 in Erase disk tab is the better option.
4. Select one erasing standard from the security column, to family member or your trusted friends, simple and advanced overwrite methods are recommend (1-3 passes); to friends works for very professional data recovery company or FBI, try complex overwrite methods (6-7 passes); for self-reinstalling and improve system performance, 1 pass will do.
5. Click Erase Now and confirm the command, and wait for a while (or many whiles, depends on your hard drive capacity, the bigger the longer.)
6. OK, the disk is clean now and we shall jump to the steps of clean installing Windows 10.
Solution 2, wipe free space of C Drive and wipe other drives.
This solution will not require the blank disc, so we can directly wipe what we don't want and there is no need to reboot either.
1. Open control panel and uninstall programs that you don't want or occupied too much free space on C Drive or other partitions.
2. Run Eraser and click Erase free space, select C Drive, the system partition, and choose a wiping method for it.
3. Click Erase Now and confirm, wiping free space in C Drive will take some time, still depends on the size of it.
4. Do not close the program; we'll continue to wipe drives. Click Erase drive and choose all the drives or the drive you store personal data and select one erasing standard for them (it). And repeat step 3 to Erase.