Wipe hard drive without windows installation disk
Windows installation disk is able to delete partitions and format drives, it indeed able to empty the disk, but when your company needs to clean everything off the old drive after drives are installed, the Windows installation disk is not the best option, besides, it’s troublesome to insert the disk to every single computer and do the empty job one by one.
Reddit user too asked for the alternative plans to wipe drives clean:
My office has purchased new laptops and has instructed me to wipe clean all of their old computers. All of the resources I've read online have said to use the windows installation disc, but we will be throwing out these computers so there's no need to reinstall windows.
The mission here to wipe many disks without the Windows installation disk and the program shall better able to wipe many disks without adding the erasing task one by one manually, to make it simple, the software is capable of wiping multiple disks will be the best option.
ByebyeData Eraser is the data sanitization software you may have a try, which has many features built-in to enable you to erase files, folders, free space, drives, and disks, you can also create bootable media with its own tool if you want to erase everything including the operating system. That’s the very function we’re going to use in this situation.
So, let’s download the program first, install it and Run as administrator, then we may erase many disks connected to one computer will the following steps:
1. In the first window, click the Entire disk tab and then all the hard drives you connected to the computer are listed in the erasing table, then right-click on the blank area and Select all disks. You may have found that all the data disks are selected but the boot disk, Disk 0, which is the disk had Windows operating system installed, we’ll deal with that later.
2. Select one wiping method from the security list. Although we always recommend the simple overwrite methods, the one pass overwriting plans, other erasure standards like the DoD 5220.22-M algorithms are also available if the IT dept. of your company requires.
3. Click Erase Now and Confirm. And please double-click the disks you intended to erase had backups for the important business documents since after confirming in ByebyeData Eraser, data on the selected disks are gone for good.
4. OK, now we had all the non-system-disk erased, you can disconnect them and connect other disks to this computer again, and repeat the steps above to make them clean too.
Erase the operating system disk
Disk 0, in this example, is the boot disk to run Windows, and it's greyed out in the erasing table even after we clicked the "Select all" button, if the disk 0 is on the new computer your office just upgraded, you don't need to wipe this disk; but if it's one of the computers you're about to get rid of, then you can do the followings to wipe it out:
- Click Bootable media in the main window.
- Click Browse to save the ISO file and click Create.
- Burn the file to USB with Rufus or other burning tools.
Then in the WinPE ByebyeData Eraser, click Entire disk, then select Disk 0, then select an erasing plan and then Erase Now, confirm.
Create Windows installation disk
There're also some resources for you on how to create Windows installation disk, although no screenshots from MS guide page, it's easy to follow.