Wipe all files and the OS
Hey guys, ive been looking around and have not gotten a solid answer yet so im asking here. So, how would i delete all my files AND not have the PC reinstall windows? As i would like to remove EVERYTHING including the OS for a friends PC. I know you can go to Reset this PC and do Delete Everything but that still makes the PC reinstall Windows. Is there anyway to delete all my files and not have the PC reinstall the OS? Right now im using a OEM Windows 10 Licence.reddit user
So, how to wipe all files and the OS?
Last time, we wrote about how to erase all files and keep Windows. So, to wipe all files and the OS is to wipe everything on the hard drive; the best solution is to wipe it from bootable media. You bootable CD, DVD or USB can be the best choices. So prepare a blank burnable CD or DVD, or a formatted USB, then download ByebyeData Eraser, when it is downloading, you can go through all the folders and found something important for you to backup.
Although you've mentioned that there's no such valuable stuff for you to keep, it's better to double check the disk.
Now we can install ByebyeData eraser and run it as administrator, then do as follow to erase all files and the OS:
1. Click Bootable media first and browse to save the ISO file, and then click Create. The ISO file will be ready in seconds.
2. Insert the CD, or USB, and burn the ISO to it. Here's the guide.
3. Close all the running programs and Restart, then Set Boot order to CD/USB in BIOS. Save and Exit to restart. And then you can see the WinPE-Based ByebyeData Eraser.
4. Click Entire disk and select Disk 0 or all the disks if they're available. You can right-click on the empty are and Select All the disks.
5. Then choose a wiping method for Disk 0, or skip this step when you're OK with the default one pass overwrite plan: Zero filling. Since you don't have enough time before mailing the laptop/PC to your friend, the simple overwrite methods will just save your time. Actually, one pass overwriting is always enough to make data clean no matter you're in a hurry or not.
6. The final step goes to the Erase Now button and the Yes Button (to confirm.)
Now all your files and the OS are erased clean, the disk cannot be used until the operating system installed. Everything is wiped off the hard drive and you can rest assure to mail to your friend.
PS: Those steps apply to Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP; also to Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008 and Windows 2003 if you're using Server systems.