Selling my computer and erase data
I'm Selling my computer and i would like to know if there is a way to keep the OS and remove the data or what do i have to do to remove all the data and give the computer just with the OS.
The computer is now well performed, don't have malware or virus affected and personal files and solders are in well category.
This is the best situation the computer might have before doing anything to it, in which we can manually clean up the hard drive and keep only the operating system. We can do the followings to make the disk clean of personal data again:
1. Go the control panel and click uninstall programs to uninstall the software you installed after a clean install, please do keep in mind that corrupted software be uninstalled too, because they cannot be passed along legally. If you do have the license of the paid apps, pack them with the computer if the buyer would like you keep and buy the program with the acceptable price.
2. Find your personal files and folders and delete them, since they are well-kept in some partition on the disk, it is not hard to locate and delete them.
OK, that will do for the modern SSD drive, but not quite enough for HHDs (hybrid hard drives) or HDDs (hard disk drives). We need to go into the below steps if you're using these drives.
3. Erase free space, or wipe unused space, erase deleted space on the hard drive. As you may have known that delete and format on hard drives are not data killers in font of any data recovery software, erase or wipe data, on the other hand, will keep safe, but Windows doesn't have any default tool to erase data, only ask you to download a command-based tool SDelete, we'll try SDelete alternative: ByebyeData Eraser, the graphical-based easy to use software.
4. Click Erase free space on the drives you store personal data (files, photos, videos and other documents). Select an erasure standard from the list, 3-passes method is enough for completely erasing data. Click Erase Now and start to erase after you confirmed. Repeat this step on C Drive to erase traces of the installed program.
Tips about step 2: for HDD and HHD users, you can directly erase files and folder in ByebyeData Eraser instead of deleting them first.
The computer is running very slow, performs poor or even far from the word "perform", once affected by virus or malware or any program that may destroy system, personal files are not well organized and don't even know where they are how to locate them, don't know the default path of download folder, and there're many personal stuff.
If your computer is in this situation, wow, we can still help to make it clean but how can you backup your important stuff? If you can remember the keywords of the files, you can press Windows + F in Windows 7 to locate and backup them, which may some time when the directory is at large scale. You can also press Ctrl + J in Chrome browser to find the download path and locate the file you once downloaded if you don't change and move the default path.
OK, after a hard work on backup, we finally reach out the erase step.
1. Download, install and run ByebyeData Eraser; prepare a blank CD/DVD/USB and Windows Setup CD or ISO file while downloading. Yes, we're gonna wipe out the disk and reinstall Windows.
2. Click Bootable media and follow this guide to create a bootable disc of ByebyeData Eraser.
3. boot from CD, the Eraser CD not the setup CD, and Click Erase disks in ByebyeData Eraser. Select the hard drive contains system, (most of us have only one disk on the computer, just click the one, but someone have multiple disks, you can choose the one running Windows, the one you would like to reinstall).
4. Select one standard of data sanitization method from security column and Erase Now.
5. When erasing finishes, take the ByebyeData Eraser boot CD and insert Windows Setup CD, reboot again, if you don't have Windows setup CD, you can burn the ISO to CD and create one before Step 3.
6. boot from CD again and follow the setup wizard to install Windows 7, for example, again.