Secure file removal
Like other file secure deletion tool, ByebyeData Eraser is able to erase files and folders for good.
Steps to wipe files are just easy to follow:
1. Download the program and install it to any path, to C Drive is recommended when you want to erase other data partition.
2. Run it as administrator, if you will use Eraser software frequently, you can take the administrator privilege so as not to right-click and run it in the future.
3. In the left guide bar, click Files and folders to expand the security column and the erasing list.
4. Choose a wiping method for the files and folders you intend to add.
5. Use the Add files or Add folders button to increase the erasing list. And double-check if you added the right files, if some files are mistakenly added, just uncheck the box in front of it.
6. Click Erase Now and Confirm Yes to the warning message.
About file and folder erasure
ByebyeData Eraser will only erase the files and folders you added to the erasing list, if there’re duplicate files on other drives or sub-folders on other disks, they’ll be there as the same. So before adding files to Eraser, please use Windows Explorer’s search function ( Windows + E and press F3 to open the find function, or directly press Win+F at any screen on Windows 7, which in Windows 10 you’ll open the Feedback window).
Copy the file name to the search bar and press ender to find if there’re duplicate documents. To quickly copy file name you can click the file and press F2 and Ctrl+C, and Ctrl+V in the search bar.
When you find the copy, add all of them to Eraser, they may have different paths, then you can right-click on them and click Properties to locate them. You can copy the path in the properties window and paste it the address bar of the Add file window.
To secure delete a file we need to make sure every copy of this file shall be erased. The above mentioned method will not only find duplicate files on local hard drives, but also it displays which email contains the file name you attached when you reply. You can delete this email of course, but when it reaches to the server side, it’s hard to guarantee it’s erased too. So as for the cloud file erasing, it’s better to contact the support team and ask them if they have such services available.
Windows 10’s next major update Fall Creators Update, Windows Explorer will then list files on OneDrive too, by then, the local search function might (F3 button in Windows Explorer) maybe integrated with OneDrive’s search and it will be easier to find copies of the file you’re about to erase.