How to prevent recovery of deleted files?
I just deleted files and emptied recycle bin, how can I make sure data are permanently deleted? I want to prevent recovery of files in hard drive or recycle bin from wrong hands.
You cannot prevent recovery of deleted/formatted files unless you use some data sanitization software or overwrite the hard drive free space manually, any free data recovery programs can get the deleted files back no matter they were in recycle bin, folders, drives or disks when you haven't erased the hard drive after deletion.
The following guide will share how to use ByebyeData Eraser to prevent recovery of deleted files.
- Download ByebyeData Eraser, install and Run it and Click Erase Free space.
- Choose a partition or Drive your deleted files were in.
- Specify an erasing standard from the list on the right side.
- Click Erase Now to erase free space on this partition
The alternative solution to the previous one is to erase files and folders directly instead of deleting them.
- Run ByebyeData Eraser and click Erase files and folders.
- Add files and folders into ByebyeData Eraser.
- Choose one wiping scheme and Erase Now, confirm it and Eraser will do the rest.
Giving the situation that you have D: Drive for all data, you don't want to erase files and folders one by one, because the whole drive can be deleted, we can now just erase the entire drive and save time.
- Click Erase drives in ByebyeData Eraser and choose one Drive contains the files you want to get rid of.
- Choose a plan to erase data in this partition and click Erase Now.
- Type the keyword to confirm erasure and wait for some time to check the result.
If you want to erase the entire drive in Windows 7, 8 and Windows 10, you can try to format the drive: right-click on the drive in files explorer and click Format, leave everything as default setting but uncheck the Quick Format box. Then Windows will overwrite this partition in low level format style and overwrite it with 1 pass. If you want more passes, you can try ByebyeData Eraser.