Format C Drive or erase the disk
Format C Drive may become a need when you want to:
- Erase hard drive on Windows system.
- Format C Drive clean and reinstall Windows 7 or 10.
Error1: you need to format the disk before you can use it.
For data drive, right-click on the Drive you want to format in File explorer, and click Format to continue. But you cannot do this to C Drive or the following error will pop up.
Error2: C Drive cannot be format in file explorer.
If you want to format C Drive and install Windows 10, do it like this, we just found a detailed description on this. In Tim's howto page you can learn:
- Format C Drive form boot menu
- Format C Drive Command line
- Format C Drive from Windows Setup/ system repair Disc
If you are about to clean up everything in C Drive or the entire disk, erase hard drive is the better solution, because data can still be recovered giving common recovery software even after you formatted or deleted partition.
Erase C Drive with ByebyeData Eraser
- Download ByebyeData Eraser and run it.
- In the left navigation bar click Bootable media, follow the guide to create an ISO file of ByebyeData Eraser.
- . Insert the bootable media, CD or DVD, and double click the ByebyeData Eraser ISO file to burn it, or right-click on it and Burn.
- Restart and boot from CD/DVD, run ByebyeData Eraser again.
- Click Erase Drives and click C Drive, choose an erase standard from the security list and click Secure Erase.
That's all the steps for C Drive erase before you dispose of old computers. Nothing left, including Windows operating system, temp files, downloaded documents, virus, malware, and your personal stuff. Bye-bye, data on my C Drive.
Format C Drive and clean install Windows 7.
The above steps shall continue if you would like to install Windows 10 clean, after erased C Drive in ByebyeData eraser, system cannot boot of course, if you insist, error message like "BOOTMGR is missing" or an "NTLDR is missing" will come up. so do the following step to install Windows 7：
- Insert the Windows 7 Setup DVD and boot from it.
- Specify your language and keyboard and click Next.
- Click Custom(advanced) and click C Drive. Format.
- Next to Install Windows 7.
Format operation in this section is not mean to delete files but create file system for Windows installing. After erased C Drive, the partition becomes clean and you can rest assured to run Windows on this clean drive.
Will format C Drive damage data on D Drive?
No, data on Drive will stay intact. Like aforementioned, format C Drive is to create file system and other essentials for system booting, it just delete everything on this partition no touch other Drives.