How to erase SD card in different situations?
Erase SD card can be adopted when SD card is infected by virus, write protected or when SD card shows wrong size, ByebyeData Eraser is a system tool to protect data safe on storage device, it works perfect on SD card and you don't need to worry about data leakage if you want to get rid of SD card or other USB flash drive.
Steps of Erasing SD card:
1. Download ByebyeData Eraser, install it and Run it as Administrator.
2. Click Erase disk and check the SD card disk in the disk lists.
3. Select an erasing algorithm and click Erase Now, confirm and you'll get a clean SD card.
You can also make a boot CD on ByebyeData Eraser to erase SD card if you need to.
The followings are some workouts on SD card problems and we also listed some steps on formatting SD card in Windows Diskpart command lines, in android phones, in the camera settings and video guide on formatting SD card on Mac OS. Just for your reference.
SD card is write-protected
We listed 4 solutions to work out the SD card write-protected problem, hope they will be some help for you.
1. examine the card's exterior to see it is enabled or disabled
2. Uncheck the Read-only check box under the Properties window.
3. Remove write protection with the command "attributes disk clear readonly" in diskpart command line.
4. Change StorageDevicePolicies' value between 1-10 in Regedit:
If none of the above solutions worked. Try to erase the SD card and format again if the SD card is virus infected.
Format SD card in command line
1. Insert the SD to your computer, desktop or laptop.
2. Press Window + R and type diskpart to run diskpart command line.
3. Type list disk > select disk [sd card number]
4. Type format fs: fat32 quick, you can replace fat32 to exFAT, or ntfs.
5. Type assign letter [letter:]
This method of formatting SD card applies to Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and Windows 10.
Format SD card in Android phones
Format SD card directly from android phones is the most common way to free up SD card space, here is the simple step:
Phone settings > SD card and phone storage > format SD card.
Different devices' menu may vary, but it is still easy to locate the function. Some of the android phones even have the function Erase SD card, it is your choice to make the card clean again or just empty the card.
Format SD card in Canon
Take Canon EOS 6D for example, you can do the followings to format SD card when you insert it into the camera.
1. Press the menu button and navigate to the Camera Settings 1 tab.
2. High light the Format card option and press Set button.
3. High light the OK button and press Set button again.
4. If you want to erase everything on the SD card and prevent any kinds of recovery solutions, you can check the low-level format, that will take more time than quick format but more safer if the SD card is about to be given away, but if you want to empty the card and for reuse, there is no need to do a low-level format.
Format SD card on a Mac computer
1. Open Disk Utility: Type disk utility in the magnifying glass and select the app.
2. Click on the SD card you connected to Mac with the name of NO name or untitled.
3. Click Erase tab and select FAT, NTFS, ExFAT to format, you can also specify a name to the SD card. Confirm to the warning message and click Erase.