How to erase hdd from usb?
When the entire disk needs to be cleaned, we need to erase the hdd from usb, or other bootable media to erase operating system along with other data on the disk.
Steps to erase HDD from USB:
1. Download HDD erase tool ByebyeData Eraser, install it and run this tool as administrator. You can download the ISO file burning tool Rufus at the same time when Eraser is installing.
2. In the first window of ByebyeData Eraser, click on the Create bootable media tab and click Create button, then after a few seconds, ByebyeData Eraser's ISO file will be there on the desktop (the default path to store ISO file, you can specify it before creating).
3. Insert a blank USB, which size should be more than 300M (I think it's really hard to find one USB with less than 2GB size now), then run Rufus, follow it's guide to load the USB and ISO file, then click Start to Burn it.
After another few seconds, ByebyeData Eraser will be burned into the USB, now close all the running programs and reboot, just bear in mind to keep USB in its port.
Press Fx to enter BIOS according to the screen hints and change the boot order to USB, save and exit, boot from USB, then ByebyeData Eraser will show up again, in the WinPE environment. Then with the following steps, we can erase the entire hdd along with the operating system:
1. Click Entire disk and select the entire disk, or disk 0 if you have only one disk connected to the computer.
2. Choose an erasing method for the HDD, there're mainly four types of overwrite methods: simple, advanced, complex, and very complex. In most of cases, Simple overwrite is quite enough for wiping data clean and of course, you can choose the more time consuming but widely used DoD 5220.22 M standard.
3. Click Erase Now and confirm.