Fastest way to securely erase a hard drive
Trying to erase hard drive fast before donating or selling computers? We have the fastest way to securely erase a hard drive and all the fourteen standard overwriting methods are here to help, most of which are NSA grade, the National Security Agency grade, and it might be some help for the guy from serverfault.com.
I'm looking for a quick, simple, and effective way to erase the hard drives of computers that my company will be getting rid of (donation to charity, most likely). Ideally, I would like a single-purpose bootable utility CD that upon booting, finds all attached hard drives and performs an "NSA grade" disk erasure.source
Let's check all the requirements from this task: Got to be simple to use, have quick and effective ways to erase, bootable utility CD and finally NSA grade erasing methods.
OK, let's then take a look at what ByebyeData Eraser has: Graphically interface, that's easy to use and operate; has fast overwriting algorithms, able to create bootable CD, single-purposed software, and at last it has government standard of from different countries, including the States. Those features seem to be the perfect solution for the user above and the following steps will show us how to fast erase hard drives on computers:
1. Prepare a blank CD while downloading ByebyeData Eraser.
2. Install the program and Run it as administrator. Click Yes to the UAC dialog if it shows.
3. Click Bootable media and create the ISO file in the guide windows.
4. Insert the blank CD and choose Burn from the right-click menu of the ISO file.
5. Wait a few seconds and close all the running programs. You may do the backup step now, after which we'll reboot the computer.
6. Choose boot from CD at the boot menu screen and you can run ByebyeData Eraser from CD.
7. Click Erase disk and check all the disks connected; specify a wiping methods in the security list and click Erase Now. Eraser will now ask you again if you'd like to continue, click Yes and you'll get disk cleaned in minutes (or hours, depending on the capacity and the how many passes you have chosen for the disks).
That's how to fast erase hard drives in one computer, if you have many more computers to erase, you can use the boot CD of ByebyeData Eraser to erase other computers' hard drive with the same steps (actually, you only need to repeat step 6 and 7). As you know, many motherboards can have 4 hard drives connected, some may have more, so you can disconnect hard drives from the rest of computers and erase them by one click to save the effort of booting CD from other machines.