How to erase all traces of a hard drive?
How can I erase all traces of a certain folder or some files in the folder on a hard drive in my company? For example, I have a video file, some photos, a rar file and some text files in a folder named "work", how can I erase all traces of them, because they kind of sensitive.
Since you mentioned "erase", you may have known that simple delete and format will not make sensitive files clean. We need to overwrite the place you stored the folder on the hard drive and we can use third party tool to accomplish this, try the easiest and safest ByebyeData Eraser, install and Run it, we'll make the folder clean of nothing by the following steps:
1. Click Erase files and folders, and click Add files to add the aforementioned files to Eraser.
2. After checked the list contains all you desired files you can specify a wiping plan to kill these files, we listed 4 type of overwrite method: simple, advanced, complex and very complex, in which of them many options are available, choose one to wipe according to your company's rules or requirements. (3 passes or 7 passes?)
3. Check again please and notice that: Once you confirm to erase, everything you added to the list are completely erased, and No data recovery software is able to getting any traces back. If there is no problem, click Erase Now and confirm the operation.
Erase files and folders function is useful and powerful when you have few folders or files to erase, but when you have hundreds of different file extension data to get rid of off, it may take you much to select them all without miss a single one. If you're in such situation and have all the data stored in a secondary hard drive, the non-system drive, you can try the alternative method to erase all traces of all data.
Alternative plan: Erase disk
Company's IT guys would always recommend to store data on a secondary hard drive or external hard drive, so if you want to all the files in it, it is better to wipe the entire disk directly instead of selecting individual files and folders one by one. We ByebyeData Eraser is installed, you can run it and do the following few steps:
1. Click Erase disk and choose an erasing standard for the disk you're about to wipe, if you don't know which one is better, you may ask the IT department for answers, mostly company would use the 3 passes overwrite methods, but some would make it to 7.
2. Select the hard drive, please choose the right one, disk lists from 0, disk 0 is always the system disk, disk 1 maybe your target if you only have two hard drives connected.
3. Click Erase Now and make sure everything is OK, and then confirm. If you find something wrong, or you want to change a plan for the hard drive to wipe, click NO and re-choose and confirm. Why so troublesome? Just because, you cannot recovery anything from the hard drive once Eraser get your order and start to erase.
Related: Wipe hard drive clean before selling.