Cleaning files off a hard drive
We use the sentence cleaning files off a hard drive instead of deleting files from a hard drive or formatting data on a hard drive only because delete and format are not the proper methods to make data clean, giving certain data recovery programs will restore the contents of deleted data. Erase, on the other hand, is the efficient way of cleaning data off a hard drive.
How to clean files off a hard drive?
To clean is to erase or wipe, Windows doesn't provide us an option in the right-click menu, so we need to find such software for ourselves. ByebyeData Eraser is the program matches its name, let's say bye-bye to the data on the disk and make our disks clean again. Download the program and we'll get start:
1. In the first window, you can see all the functions are listed in the side-bar; it's so well designed that you'll soon know how to use it. Click Files and folders.
2. The list is now empty and we can click Add files to it, click the button and add files to the list, you can add as many as you like, the list can be scrolled if the you had a full first screen list.
3. Before we proceed, please check the list again if you had mistakenly added some files you don't want to erase. If everything goes fine and you had a backup of important files, select a wiping algorithm, although we have 14 options available, one pass overwrite, the simple overwrite method is enough.
4. Click Erase now and you'll be prompt with a confirm dialog, click YES to erase.
Clean deleted files off hard drive
Steps are almost the same when coming to clean deleted files off hard drive, the only difference is that this time we click Erase free space in ByebyeData Eraser instead, and follows:
1. Select all the drives you had once kept the deleted files, if you had no ideas about which drives are, you can select them all, yes, all the drives on the disk, including the boot drive. Erasing free space on the disk is a safe procedure; it won't touch the existing data, so there's no need to do a backup on the free space.
2. Erasing all the drives free space will take much longer than erasing individual files, so we recommend the zero-filling algorithm, or the default setting, to erase the entire drives free space.
3. Click Erase Now and Yes to the confirmation, you can now turn off the screen and wait Eraser to create the erasure report.