Additional disk space needed error
This error message often shows when you want to reset your Windows 10 or upgrade to Windows 10 but the system partition is running out of space even after you cleaned up that partition.
techguy.org user nayacp has met this problem when he tried to reset his Windows 10 PC, here’s what bothers him:
Hello I have a windows 10 computer with virtually no space on the disk. This is quite strange as there is literally nothing downloaded or available to remove from the PC. I have been trying for days to wipe or reset the PC, but it states everytime that "Additional disk space needed" to WIPE the disk; which makes no sense to me! I am beyond flustered someone please help, thank you !! I have ran disk cleanups and such and there is nothing for me to do to free up space. Help !!
Or you can click here to check the source page, other users replied to this post had many suggestions for him, but I didn't find out the solution only to find more parameters of the computer, which are still helpless to the problem.
Actually, they don’t have to ask more info about the device to work out Error messages like “additional free space is needed on the drive where Windows is installed. Free up some space and try again”, when Windows doesn’t have enough free space for it to operate, such errors will still be there unless you uninstall or delete some files from the drive.
When “additional free space is needed” error shows, we can reset the computer before its running, that’s to wipe the drive before it boot into Windows.
Before we restart the computer, let download the data sanitization program ByebyeData Eraser, it’s light weight, and I’m pretty sure you still have 8M free space on the drive even when it alerts you low disk space, install it and Run as administrator, then do the followings:
1. Click the Bootable media tab and follow the guide to create the ISO file, then burn it to a blank CD or USB.
2. Restart the computer and press Fx to change to boot menu, set boot priority to CD or USB, Save and Exit, then the computer will be boot from the media.
3. Click the Entire drive tab, and choose the partition runs out of space; then select a wiping method, as we know all you want to is just reset computer instead of resale it, you don’t have to choose the multiple passes overwriting plans, the simple overwrite methods are best for you to save time.
Create Bootable Media first
Then Erase Entire Drive
Note: Please Do remember to check out and backup the important data on the drives, because when ByebyeData Eraser starts to work, nothing can be recovered from the selected items.
Overwriting the drive will erase everything on it, including the operating system if it’s the C Drive you’re about to erase, so before you confirm to erase, please get the Windows installation disk ready, which will be used after erasing.
Although simple overwriting plans are much faster than other advanced methods, they’re still slower than format, so if there’s nothing important on the C Drive, or the system partition, you can format it use the command prompt tool before booting into Windows instead.
1. Boot from the Windows installer CD or USB
2. When the Windows Setup window shows, click NEXT and click Repair your computer
3. Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
4. Type the following command:
format c: /fs:NTFS Enter current volume label for drive C: WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST! Proceed with Format (Y/N)?